5/5/14

Salsa

Happy Cinco De Mayo everyone!!!! In honor of the day I have a wonderful salsa recipe for you.

I love making and of course eating fresh salsa. My salsa is quick, easy to prepare, and most ingredients you'll  have on hand. The recipe is based on this wonderful salsa Quick and Easy Blender Salsa. I like to be able to improvise, use what I have on hand. So I like a recipe where there is room for play. This is the one!

If you don't have Rotel tomatoes but do have two cans of diced tomatoes use those. Don't have cilantro or don't like cilantro use fresh parsley. You get the picture.  Use what you have on hand or what you have "leftover".  Be adventurous!

A few weeks back, I met a Company on twitter, called Gourmet Conveniences. They have a line of  award winning  gourmet sauces called Sweet Sunshine. The sauces are all natural, vegan. gluten, preservative, extract, and fat free. I knew these sauces were right up my ally. Sweet Sunshine sauces soon became a go to product for me. Check them out Sweet Sunshine. The majority of the sauces are chili sauces. The heat level or flavor ranges from Sweet all the way to Atomic. Their motto "Flavor before Fire".

Now back to the salsa. I knew I was going to plan a Cinco De Mayo fun dinner. Tacos, nacho's, refried beans and rice. Yum!! So I had to get working on the salsa. I wanted to use what I had on hand. My family likes their food and condiments pretty spicy. I didn't have any Rotel tomatoes and only 1/2 of a jalapeno pepper. I did have Sweet Sunshine's Hot sauce and thought this would work to add just the right amount of heat to the salsa. I got testing away. My kitchen became a test kitchen and with a little trail and error a perfect salsa was produced. Here's the recipe:

  • 2- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 red onion, chopped
  • 1-2 clove(s) garlic, chopped
  • 1/2 jalapeno, (I took out the seeds and veins, can leave then in) chopped
  • 1 teaspoon honey
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • fresh parsley (add as much as you like) chopped
  • juice of 1 lime
  • 2-3 tablespoons Sweet Sunshine Hot Sauce(I used 2 but you may want yours with more "kick to it")
Put all ingredients in a blender, pulse until desired consistency is reached. Serve on tacos or nachos or any of you're favorite Mexican foods.

Salsa with Sweet Sunshine Hot Sauce

The Sweet Sunshine Hot Sauce fit my criteria for food preparation. The sauce is healthy, simple to use, and added just the right zip to the salsa. Please give this recipe a try. I know you will love it!

*The Sweet Sunshine Hot Sauce was provided for me. All thoughts on the product are my own.

1 comment:

  1. You have some ingredients in your salsa that I've never used before...cumin. Thanks for sharing this on Merry Monday linky party & introducing me to a new product.

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS